I made all of the fixes that I mentioned yesterday. The text of the draft is ready to be submitted. The current wordcount is 93171. The next step will be to write the synopsis and then figure out all of the different hoops I need to jump through to meet the various submission requirements.
Last Tuesday I did a final spellcheck on my draft, and I’ve been rereading the novel since then to see if I introduced any errors on the last editing pass. I noticed a few minor issues that I’ll need to fix with line edits but nothing major or structural. Hopefully it will be less than a day of work to fix them. I’ll also need to create a synopsis of the novel since most submission guidelines require one. Once I’ve got that I’ll start submitting to literary agents.
Today I broke through my procrastination on the “the plan worked perfectly” scene. That was the last Priority issue. The other four issues were all related to a single chapter, and were mostly a question of tone and whether I needed to do some more “show, don’t tell” stuff. I decided that a rewrite wasn’t necessary, and I’ll keep that chapter the way it is. That resolves all the current issues!
I’m going to let the novel sit for a week and then reread it to make sure that everything still hangs together. I’m hoping that it will be ready to start shopping it around to agents and/or publishers and not need another draft. I’m going to start researching the submission guidelines for various places so that I’ll know what I need to do once I’m ready.
Resolved 4 Medium and 1 Priority issues.
Current wordcount: 92867
I made some progress today, but probably not as much as the stats below would indicate. I resolved several issues by saying “I’m going to ignore the feedback my first readers gave me on this and stick with what I wrote originally.” There’s a danger that I’m letting frustration and weariness with the project influence those decisions, but I also need to get this thing wrapped up so I can move on with other projects. I’m embracing the idea that not being motivated to make the changes is my subconscious telling me that the changes aren’t necessary. Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but I need to do something to move forward. Odds are that these issues wouldn’t be the difference between selling the novel and not selling it, anyway, and if they’re really problems than I can work them out with an editor once I’ve got a contract…
Resolved 2 Medium and 3 Priority issues.
Current wordcount: 92465
Still trying to get back on track. I think the biggest part of the problem is that I left some of the hardest problems until last, so it’s hard to build momentum by fixing a series of easy problems.
Resolved 1 Medium issue.
Current wordcount: 92456