February 24, 2010
Well, I’ve been kind of stalled out for a few weeks. Part of it is a problem of motivation. Most of the big fixes I still need to make are related to pacing. The stuff I need to beef up won’t add anything new to the story, it will just pad things out a bit, and I have a really hard time being excited by that. For example, I have a paragraph that starts out “the plan worked perfectly”, followed by a confrontation with a major antagonist. It’s too abrupt as it is now, but detailing exactly how the plan worked perfectly just seems like it will be really boring…
Still, I made some progress today by switching to a different problem which I don’t have as large a motivational block with.
Resolved 2 Medium and 2 Priority issues.
Current wordcount: 92406
February 7, 2010
I finished modifying chapter 23. I may have left a dangling thread that needs to be tied up later, but I’ll wait until I finish the draft and see if it matters when I reread it.
Resolved 1 Medium and 3 Priority issues.
Current wordcount: 92307
February 6, 2010
I fixed up chapter 40 to accommodate the changes I made yesterday and got a good start on chapter 23. I had been reluctant to tackle this chapter for a long time because a lot of the changes that needed to happen were contingent upon how I decided to fix the showstopper issue. Now that I’ve got that more or less resolved it’s easier to address the problems in this chapter.
Resolved 1Low, 3 Medium, and 2 Priority issues.
Current wordcount: 92011
February 5, 2010
I added the new chapter today, which hopefully resolves the biggest issue I had with the novel. While there’s some new content in it, I had to move some big chunks of description from chapter 40 into this new chapter, which means I now need to fix up chapter 40.
Resolved 1 Showstopper issue.
Current wordcount: 91665
February 4, 2010
I’m still having a hard time getting moving on the editing. “Finishing the book” is seeming like a really huge and monolithic job. I know I need to focus in on smaller, achievable tasks in order to make progress, but that’s easier said than done. I think I have an idea for how to resolve my showstopper problem, but I’m not 100% confident it will work. I’ll need to add a new chapter in order to do it. That’s usually not that big a deal (when I’m rolling, I can usually knock out at least one a day) but for some reason I’ve got a psychological barrier to writing it that I need to work through.
Resolved 2 Priority issues.
Current wordcount: 90674