Novel Update

Word Count Indicator
Current Word Count: 57124
Words Written Today: 543

Quality Indicator
Current Resolved Issues: 41
Current Open Issues: 19
Issues Resolved Today: 2
Issues Opened Today: 1

I had a bit of a scare today. I noticed that the full-document wordcount I was getting from my word processor wasn’t matching the sum of the chapter-by-chapter wordcount that I have in my tracking spreadsheet. It turned out that I was missing 800 words from chapter 22. I checked my backups, and they all had the old chapter 22, too. I was pretty freaked out for a while, but I finally figured out what happened. Apparently, back on January 31, I wrote the udpates for chapter 22 into my “rough draft” document instead of my “working draft” document. I copied the new text over to the working draft, and everything is cool now!

Also, for the next novel I do, I definitely need to improve my word count tracking indicator. Just recording the “word count delta” every day isn’t cutting it, since I’ve been both adding and subtracting substantial amounts of text for quite a few days now. Today I wrote a brand new 1400 word chapter to replace an old, bad 850 word chapter, but I’m only indicating 550 new words written. I think I need to see both how much old gargbage I throw away, as well as how much new creative work I do. But I’m not going to change up the indicator mid-stream, so that will be a project for next time.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: